Sharpened Quill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sharpened Quill

Forum for the members of Sharpened Quill - the best roleplaying guild on Ravenholdt, EU!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Musical Discussion

Go down 
+8
Kim'Jael
Tinderstorm
Ferbian
Takmari
Arkanoth
Lokkir
Andromus
Morghien
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Morghien

Morghien

Musical Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Musical Discussion   Musical Discussion Icon_minitimeTue 29 Jan 2008, 16:55

Since our beloved Guildchat has a tendency to ramble into musical arguments, I thought this thread could vent off a little of that into the forums, so that the guildchat would be a bit calmer drunken

This is thought to be a haven where no flaming should be involved. Just polite discussions about music in general. Firstly, one could always give a little list of what one consider as "good". In addition, i tried to pick out as few bands and groups within each "genre", as to simplify it. The Genres is just what i happen to listen to, and if you don't want to use it as a template to what you usually listen to, then you can make your own. And, lastly, remember: there is no bad music, only what one does like, is indifferent to, and don't like Very Happy

My little list:
Pop: Scissor Sisters. This is the only form for pop i listen to voulentarily.
Folkmetal: Lumsk. A norwegian folkmetal band based on Folklore and earlyy norwegian litterature.
Folkrock: Gåte. A norwegian folkmetal band based on Folkstories
Grunge: Alice in Chains and Nirvana. Needs any explanations?
Metal: Apocalyptica. Love their sound and style. And System of a Down.
Indie: Arctic Monkeys
Progressive Rock: Coheed & Cambria. Heard them once, and haven't been able to stop since
Progressive Metal: Dream Theatre
Powermetal: Dragonforce
Alternative: Faith No More
Emotive Rock: Fall Out Boy
Comedy: Tie between Tom Lehrer, and Stephen Lynch Two different styles of comedy, and not able to compare them
Alternative Rock: Incubus and Muse.
Indie Rock: Kaizers Orchestra
Industrial: Nine Inch Nails
Skaa: Reel Big Fish
The Rock Genre: I have too many i like here. ranging from "Queens of the Stone Age", to "Flyleaf" and "Paramore", to "The Good, The Bad, And The Queen".

Last edited by on Wed 30 Jan 2008, 00:12; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Andromus

Andromus

Musical Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Musical Discussion   Musical Discussion Icon_minitimeTue 29 Jan 2008, 17:00

I am a noob at music genres and sub genres...

Like to listen System of a Down, something from Godsmack and Avenged Sevenfold, some game soundtracks (atm those are Prince of Persia: Warrior Within and Dawn of War soundtracks) and different songs from various artists and genres. I am rather tolerant when it comes to music...
Back to top Go down
Lokkir

Lokkir

Musical Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Musical Discussion   Musical Discussion Icon_minitimeTue 29 Jan 2008, 17:03

Pop: -
Folkmetal: Finntroll, Swedish folkmetal
Folkrock: -
Grunge: Alice in Chains and Nirvana. Needs any explanations?
Metal: Spine shank, Rammstein
Indie: -
Progressive Rock: -
Progressive Metal: -
Powermetal: Hammerfall
Alternative: -
Emotive Rock: -
Comedy: Mega core
Indie Rock: -
Industrial: -
Skaa: -
The Rock Genre: Iron Maiden
Back to top Go down
Arkanoth

Arkanoth

Musical Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Musical Discussion   Musical Discussion Icon_minitimeTue 29 Jan 2008, 17:49

Morghien wrote: "there is no bad music, only what one does like, is indifferent to, and don't like"

First, I'd like to disagree with you on that, Morgh. Razz Yeah, one who has some talent or understanding in music can most of the time tell you what's of high standard and what's rather low or shows lowly skills. Although when it comes to tastes, everyone has a different one, and everyone listens to low quality music once in a while. No problem with that. .) I'm just saying there really is a standard and there are genres which are musically inferior to others. Basically because of their aims and purpose (for example pop is in most cases an inferior genre, because it's targeted at a larger scale of people than - let's say - hard/alternative rock, jazz or quality rap...

And my list would be:

Pop: Well if Pink! is considered pop, than she. ^^
Folkmetal: Korpiklaani
Folkrock: Don't know this genre too well.
Grunge: Kinda like it, but only a few songs.
Metal: This is too wide and I put some hard rock bands here as well...
Rammstein, Drowning Pool, Dope, Disturbed, Godsmack, Korn (not that much), System of a Down (I love them, but they're hard punk rock I guess)
Indie:
I'm not familiar with it.
Progressive Rock: Can't name one I would put in as progressive.
Progressive Metal: Dream Theater and several Hungarian bands .)
Powermetal: Manowar, Hammerfall, Sonata Arctica, Nightwish, Withing Temptation, Therion, Sinergy(they own!)
Alternative Rock: Muse!
Emotive Rock: Nay.
Comedy: There's a very good Hungarian one, but you surely don't know them. .)
Indie Rock: Not familiar.
Industrial: Laibach - they are fun to watch! ^^
Skaa: I don't like that genre. Nor punk rock.
The Rock Genre: Some Iron Maiden, Running Wild, Guano Apes, RHCP, Queen!!! and the list is very long...
Rap: Eminem .) The one and only.
And some heavyer stuff (hardcore/metalcore/Death Metal...): As I Lay Dying, In Flames, Mudvayne, Fear Factory... and Hungarian ones: Subscribe, Superbutt

For those who like that genre, here's a link for a Subscribe "Schlager":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9QK2eGJJ4Y
Back to top Go down
Takmari
Admin
Takmari

Musical Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Musical Discussion   Musical Discussion Icon_minitimeTue 29 Jan 2008, 20:24

Where is the dance music? D:
Back to top Go down
Ferbian

Musical Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Musical Discussion   Musical Discussion Icon_minitimeTue 29 Jan 2008, 20:30

Pop: none period
Folkmetal: know none
Folkrock: know none
Grunge: nirvana
Metal: metallica
Indie: don't listen to it
Progressive Rock: know none
Progressive Metal: know none
Powermetal: night wish
Alternative: recon this is again something like alternative rock hense breaking benjamin/30 seconds to mars
Emotive Rock: 30 seconds to mars/good charlotte
Comedy: know none
Alternative Rock: breaking benjamin
Indie Rock: know none
Industrial: know none
Skaa: know none
The Rock Genre: red hot chili peppers

i'd like to add some myself

hip hop: eminem
punk: good charlotte
trance: arksun
remix??: linkin park jay-z

ps. ark YOU ROCK ^^ eminem 4 life Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Arkanoth

Arkanoth

Musical Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Musical Discussion   Musical Discussion Icon_minitimeWed 30 Jan 2008, 00:08

Takmari wrote:
Where is the dance music? D:

We were waiting for you to post it? Razz
Back to top Go down
Morghien

Morghien

Musical Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Musical Discussion   Musical Discussion Icon_minitimeThu 31 Jan 2008, 21:46

Arkanoth wrote:

Morghien wrote: "there is no bad music, only what one does like, is indifferent to, and don't like"

First, I'd like to disagree with you on that, Morgh. Razz Yeah, one who has some talent or understanding in music can most of the time tell you what's of high standard and what's rather low or shows lowly skills. Although when it comes to tastes, everyone has a different one, and everyone listens to low quality music once in a while. No problem with that. .) I'm just saying there really is a standard and there are genres which are musically inferior to others. Basically because of their aims and purpose (for example pop is in most cases an inferior genre, because it's targeted at a larger scale of people than - let's say - hard/alternative rock, jazz or quality rap...

Actually, what genre that is considered inferior is individual. When one is using myself as an example, the genres that are inferior are different from a person who has a totally different personality than me. Hence, the statement. And you'll always find musically talented people in all genres, and at the same time find people without any musical talent whatsoever.
And using the amount of people targeted as an argument against a genre is redundant, since all bands, artists and groups wishes to reach out to the most people.

Last edited by on Thu 31 Jan 2008, 23:50; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Tinderstorm

Tinderstorm

Musical Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Musical Discussion   Musical Discussion Icon_minitimeThu 31 Jan 2008, 22:38

There are many band I like to listen to..here is a few:

A Perfect Circle
Tool
Pink Floyd
Alice in Chains
Franz Ferdinand
Gogol Bordello
Iron Maiden
Bob Marley
The Beatles
Dream Theater
Circus Maximus
Audioslave
Sgur Ròs
Kazers Orchestra
Mew
Morten Abel
Opeth
My dying Bride
Nightwish
Rhapsody
Smashing Pumkins
The Strokes
System of a down(s)
Turbonegro
Back to top Go down
Ferbian

Musical Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Musical Discussion   Musical Discussion Icon_minitimeFri 01 Feb 2008, 00:02

aah yes mew.. thanks for the reminder.. <3 "zookeeper's boy"
Back to top Go down
Arkanoth

Arkanoth

Musical Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Musical Discussion   Musical Discussion Icon_minitimeFri 01 Feb 2008, 00:49

"And using the amount of people targeted as an
argument against a genre is redundant, since all bands, artists and
groups wishes to reach out to the most people."

Well I think I asked for this. .P Very well. The above statement is surely incorrect, because if you want to play for the most people then it has a cost. And I don't mean cost marketing-wise. You have to follow the trend, and that will always force you to play lower quality music. Fashion determines how high quality the music you play can be in order to keep people listening to you and don't turn to some other mainstream band with easier thus more catchy melodies. It is the truth; one of my friends plays in a very talented jazz band and he got contacted by a publisher. They said they would make a contract, but only if they played lower quality music. ^^ They said it won't fit in the mainstream. That's it.

About inferior genres: you surely can't compare some hardcore techno crap with 3 tunes and 1 accord in it with a classic Wagner opera. .D
Back to top Go down
Kim'Jael

Kim'Jael

Musical Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Musical Discussion   Musical Discussion Icon_minitimeFri 01 Feb 2008, 14:37

i lisen to alot of diffirent music styles... some arnt on that list.
Me can Post and no one get angry?
Back to top Go down
Morador

Morador

Musical Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Musical Discussion   Musical Discussion Icon_minitimeFri 01 Feb 2008, 15:36

Breaking benjamin,Linkin park,three days grace,skilletz and disturbed rock... thats all im gona say.
Back to top Go down
Takmari
Admin
Takmari

Musical Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Musical Discussion   Musical Discussion Icon_minitimeFri 01 Feb 2008, 15:48

Kim:

CONFORM TO OUR TASTE IN MUSIC OR SUFFER MY WRATH!
Back to top Go down
Arkanoth

Arkanoth

Musical Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Musical Discussion   Musical Discussion Icon_minitimeFri 01 Feb 2008, 16:13

Conformists??? Where??? *prepares shotgun*
Back to top Go down
Morghien

Morghien

Musical Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Musical Discussion   Musical Discussion Icon_minitimeFri 01 Feb 2008, 16:49

Arkanoth wrote:
"And using the amount of people targeted as an
argument against a genre is redundant, since all bands, artists and
groups wishes to reach out to the most people."

Well I think I asked for this. .P Very well. The above statement is surely incorrect, because if you want to play for the most people then it has a cost. And I don't mean cost marketing-wise. You have to follow the trend, and that will always force you to play lower quality music. Fashion determines how high quality the music you play can be in order to keep people listening to you and don't turn to some other mainstream band with easier thus more catchy melodies. It is the truth; one of my friends plays in a very talented jazz band and he got contacted by a publisher. They said they would make a contract, but only if they played lower quality music. ^^ They said it won't fit in the mainstream. That's it.

About inferior genres: you surely can't compare some hardcore techno crap with 3 tunes and 1 accord in it with a classic Wagner opera. .D

I never said that bands go for playing for the most people. I said they all wish to play for the largest possible amount of people. This does not mean that they are willing to compromise their own style and abilities, only that they wish to connect to as many people as possible through their music. Although, some happen to be able to compromise themselves.
It is sad that some labels force upcoming bands and artists into genres and styles that they feel is below them just so they can get some popularity among the masses, but you also have to see it from the capitalistic point of view; What point is there in having an artist that does not pull his or her weight when it comes to sales figures?
You are speaking about "the quality of the music". For me, that means how well one is playing, hitting the notes, and everything. It has nothing to do with genre or style, only how well an artist sings, or a band plays on that particular song.

And lastly about inferior genres:
I'm not saying that *I* prefer hardcore techno over a Wagner opera, but there are people who do. My mum is a perfect example. She likes pop mostly. And there was this philharmonic playing a New Year-concert on tv, and she asked me to turn that "crappy classic off". So what's inferior is individual. ^_^

Last edited by on Fri 01 Feb 2008, 16:50; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Takmari
Admin
Takmari

Musical Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Musical Discussion   Musical Discussion Icon_minitimeFri 01 Feb 2008, 16:49

CONFORM, CONSUME, OBEY
Back to top Go down
Arkanoth

Arkanoth

Musical Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Musical Discussion   Musical Discussion Icon_minitimeFri 01 Feb 2008, 17:00

I usually don't treat Korn as a band who make good points in their lyrics. Nor do I treat them as "quality music". ^^ But this video... Yeah I totally agree with that. ^^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoNPqtznoXk
Back to top Go down
Arkanoth

Arkanoth

Musical Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Musical Discussion   Musical Discussion Icon_minitimeFri 01 Feb 2008, 17:01

Morghien wrote: "And lastly about inferior genres:
I'm not
saying that *I* prefer hardcore techno over a Wagner opera, but there
are people who do. My mum is a perfect example. She likes pop mostly.
And there was this philharmonic playing a New Year-concert on tv, and
she asked me to turn that "crappy classic off". So what's inferior is
individual. ^_^"

Can we at least speak about "bad taste"? Razz

"but you also have to see it from the
capitalistic point of view; What point is there in having an artist
that does not pull his or her weight when it comes to sales figures?"

Here we could start a whole new argument, but I think this shouldn't be the place to do it. One thing though... I personally believe that "fashion" and "trends" are most the time coming from artificial source. I mean they are defined by small interest-groups and then with the support of money they are made mainstream and the general example to follow. Just like politics. Where humanity goes isn't defined by the public. .) At least, that is my point of view.
Back to top Go down
Kim'Jael

Kim'Jael

Musical Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Musical Discussion   Musical Discussion Icon_minitimeSat 02 Feb 2008, 10:54

LoL tak...
I HAVE BEN TAKEN OVER!
SYSTEM OVER LODE!
SHUTING DOWN...
Back to top Go down
Portilia

Portilia

Musical Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Musical Discussion   Musical Discussion Icon_minitimeSat 02 Feb 2008, 11:55

I agree with tak where's the dance music Very Happy
Oh and the Classical aswell Razz
Back to top Go down
Andromus

Andromus

Musical Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Musical Discussion   Musical Discussion Icon_minitimeSat 02 Feb 2008, 13:17

Dance music? Don't know about you, but this "song" makes me want to dance - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cZC67wXUTs xD
Back to top Go down
Morghien

Morghien

Musical Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Musical Discussion   Musical Discussion Icon_minitimeSat 02 Feb 2008, 13:32

Portilia wrote:
I agree with tak where's the dance music Very Happy
Oh and the Classical aswell Razz

as i said:
the list i pulled out of my hat was just for me, and not a necessary tmplate for everyine ^_^ make your own that suits you Smile
Back to top Go down
Takmari
Admin
Takmari

Musical Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Musical Discussion   Musical Discussion Icon_minitimeSat 02 Feb 2008, 19:53

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVUAywVdBiI

Shame about the shitty quality...

But this is where I go clubbing :3
Back to top Go down
Arkanoth

Arkanoth

Musical Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Musical Discussion   Musical Discussion Icon_minitimeSat 02 Feb 2008, 21:45

Tuc tuc tuc tuc tuc tuc tuc tac tuc tuc tuc tac tuc tac...

Victory for modern tribal music. .)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Musical Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Musical Discussion   Musical Discussion Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Musical Discussion
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Sharpened Quill :: Off-topic-
Jump to: